Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sunshine, Where Are You?

I miss the warmer days of spring, summer and fall. Today I really want to go outside. I want to feel sunshine on my face and smell the air perfumed with the scents of grass, flowers, and sun. Alas, it is cloudy and dreary. There is snow on most of the ground, and those areas that are bare, are mud.

As I was switching my laundry from the washing machine to the dryer I had the thought that I really wish it was warmer so that I can use my laundry line to dry my blankets and sheets. I love how crisp they are and how they smell of sunshine. I miss the coolness of the clothes as I hang them up and the warmth as I take them down. I love how on a hot day it feels like air conditioning in between the lines of drying clothes.

I miss my garden. I love growing plants. I love tomatoes warm from the vine and carrots freshly pulled from the earth and brushed off with my hands. I love fresh peas. I love the purple flowers that produce eggplants. I don't love tomato horn worms, but my chickens do. I don't love getting my hands dirty, but I do love digging around with my gloves on. Most of the time I don't even mind mowing and raking. I really having dinner at night and knowing where my food came from. I love trying to grow new things and the figuring out what to do with them when they do grow. I love that my kids can snack on something from the garden and don't need to come in and ask me for something to eat every 30 minutes. In just a few weeks I am going to start some of my plants to transplant later in the summer. I can hardly wait.

No comments: