Thursday, July 9, 2009

Progress not Perfection....Right?

So last night Robert was lamenting about some trees that we lost. He had planted a bunch this spring and it looks like mice or some other small animal has chewed them all up. One of the things that I worried about was over-extending ourselves outside. We did that last year and we lost a lot of the things we planted. This year has been better, though. I have my garden in. I was able to harvest peas this year. Our potatoes look great, especially considering we have never grown them before. We do have some lawn in the front. My locust tree is looking good. We have also built a chicken coop, are raising chickens and turkeys, put a fence around the garden, and I have flowers in the planter on our island outside. We have made improvement this year. I think one of our biggest problems is all the weeds we have around here. They are so tall and it would take a very long time to mow them all down by hand. Robert had hooked up a mower thing to the tractor, but the belt broke part-way through so he didn't get everything done that he wanted to. It seems to be especially hard on Robert. He thought he would have more time in the evenings to get some of these things done, but it's just not happening. I wish I knew how to help him more, but there is only so much I can get done outside. Rachel is fine outside as long as it's not windy and if you know anything about where I live, we have a lot of wind, so that puts a damper on things.

I guess I will just have to do the best I can and remember that we are farther along this year than we were last year, especially since we don't have to build a deck this year.

1 comment:

Gallup Family said...

I totally understand how you feel. Our outside doesn't get the attention it needs. Jared mows on Saturdays but sometimes we want to do other things and then it doesn't get done. But last year our lawn was yellow and mostly dead so to have a green lawn this year we've made progress :)