Monday, June 22, 2009

Good Enough

Have you ever just had one of those days where you feel like you aren't good at anything? You're not a good mom because you _____, your not a good wife because _____, you can't keep the house clean, you don't cook good for you meals lately, your garden is getting beyond you, the laundry is piling up, you forgot to call a friend, you knew you should have done something for someone, but you chickened out, and in general, you just feel bad. What do you do when you start to feel this way? When this dialog of your "failures" starts running through your head? For me, I had to take a step back and look at the things that I have done successfully. I do know how to cook nutritional dinners and when I find/make the time I cook them. I love my children, they have clothes to wear, food to eat, and for the most part seem happy. I do play with them and read them stories and they love me. I love my husband and I remember that he works hard for us all week, and he can't read my mind so if I need his help, I need to let him know. My garden is better than it was last year and it is a learning experience. It will be better next year than this year, so just try to do the best I can. I know that I'm not a failure, there are some things I can do well. I think one of the hardest things in life is to not get discouraged. How do you do it? How do you keep your thoughts positive and move on when you feel down?

2 comments:

Gallup Family said...

I completey know how you feel. I struggle with these feelings quite often, especially since we had Anna...it just feels like I never have enough time to do everything right. I will caution you that if these feelings are new (as in just since you had Rachel) you may have PPD and need some medicine. I can tell you that if you need them they really do help. But I also understand if it's just what I call "mom feelings." We as moms constantly berate ourselves and think that we will cannot do anything right. It's hard to overcome.

Rose said...

You know, I totally understand. Don't put yourself down though, it's funny, I've been knocking myself a lot lately and I keep comparing myself to you...if only I could be more like Tasha.....and here you are doing the same thing to yourself.

I think us Mom's expect to much from ourselves....but more than that we don't really see the awesome stuff we do.