Thursday, September 23, 2010

Appreciation for my Husband

I know I just posted about some of the good things in my life that included my husband, but I would love to expand on this one. I think each year that goes by and each time I visit with girlfriends, I gain a greater appreciation for my husband and our relationship. Things were rocky at times in the beginning and I had to really learn how to communicate better with him. Much of what I said was said in a way that hurt him when I didn't mean it to, but he was patient and gentle enough to let me know what I was doing and work with me as I tried to change. Sometimes I still say things the wrong way, but now I am more mindful and I am trying to be better. Ever since I have known Robert, though, he has always respect what I had to say. He really listens to what I say and often times remembers things that I've said better than I do. I really have to be careful about saying I want something, because the odds are he will remember and try to get it for me.

He has always been respectful of my feelings and moods. He may not understand why I feel the way I do or how my thought process works, but he once told me that even if he doesn't understand my feelings, they are real to me and therefore important to him. He has never tried to get me to do something I've been uncomfortable with. When we were looking to buy a house we did a lot of talking about where we would move and the kind of house we wanted. We didn't always agree and we didn't always communicate very well, but we made it though that time and we are still together. If something is bothering me or if I don't understand something then he will take the time to explain it to me. I love that.

Robert is also quite the romantic. I remember one birthday in particular. I was working that day and when he came to pick me up he told me that he had arranged a babysitter for us. I can't remember if we had one child or two, but we dropped them off with my sister-in-law and then went to our apartment. I got to take a nice, long bubble bath with no distractions while Robert cooked us a yummy dinner. We had fettuccine Alfredo with chicken and a salad. We ate this by candlelight on our little dining table. Then I got a relaxing back rub. He's the greatest, isn't he?

1 comment:

Katrina Wilson said...

He is quite a guy. I've sure enjoyed him in the family. Well now that he likes me that is! I'm glad he is nice to me now!!