Friday, January 2, 2009

People who Need People

I am a people person, I need people. I know some people that would be fine just doing their own thing staying home and living, but I'm not like that. I need someone to talk to, someone to laugh with, someone to vent to. Robert is great, but I need girlfriends. Winter time seems especially hard. Since my neighbors all live a little distance from me, I can't really just pop over for some conversation like I could when I lived in town. And now I face the possibility of being snowed in, which I don't like, but what makes it even harder is that when I get snowed in, Robert is usually up north plowing snow, so he is snowed out. It it wasn't for my fabulous father-in-law I don't know what I'd do.

I was visiting with someone the other day who is also a fairly social person and I asked, why don't women get together more often around here? I know I'm not the only one, but it seems like we don't do a lot together. Why is that? I have a few friends who call me a party queen because I have done a few cooking parties, facial party, had friends over for dinner, and now New Years party. I do these because no one else is and I need people. I even started a sewing group once a month for those who sew. It's had its ups and downs, some months with quite a few coming and some with none. I want to join a book club, but they meet during my son's nap time. I offered to host it every once in a while so that I could participate, but I haven't heard back yet on that.

I know my house isn't perfect, I'm not the worlds best housekeeper, but I can't let that stop me. I read something one time on regrets and one of them was something to the effect of "I regret all the times I didn't invite someone over because my house wasn't perfect". I try and for the most part my house isn't dirty, just cluttered. I just know for my emotional health, having time with friends is more important than if the toys are picked up or the laundry is all folded and put away.

3 comments:

Idaho Sutters said...

Isn't amazing how we are all so different? As much as you need people I need quiet. Any day I can look on my calender and see I don't have to see anyone is a happy day for me! I love staying at home and reading and thinking. My regrets would be not getting to enough books. Talk about a massive homebody!

I hadn't heard you were interested in the book club. I'll mention it to the powers that be. The older ladies would love to have someone else participate with us.

*ehu. said...

Good for you! Do whatever it takes to make you happy and pull you through the lonesome winter! I couldn't get past the blog title...I love that movie! I wish I could sing like Barbara Streisand.
Keep up the parties! :)

Countrylivn' said...

Well I too have been thinking about your question, 'Why dont we get together more often' and I think I know why, Everyone here is RELATED, EVERYONE, even you have relatives here, SO these large families all get together every sunday, monday nights for family night, at ball games,and just for fun, etc, etc, and so they dont need to have a "party" because they are constantly having parties in which the rest, (or the very few of us who dont have family in the community) dont have. Im not trying to have a pity party for myself, and I will probably get into trouble for saying it,
BUT this is how I see it. And I dont know that we can do much about it except keep having parties, and I will keep on coming! Fun Blog by the way!