Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Spring Fever

I have got Spring Fever really bad. It all started with the seed catalogs. I didn't even want to look at them when they first started coming because the world outside was covered in white and I knew it wasn't leaving any time soon. Well, lately the snow has started melting, Robert has been out pruning the fruit trees and the sun has been shining. We've been going through our seed catalogs and planning out what we want to plant this year. Robert and I also went to a meeting and somehow ended up on a board to organize a farmer's market in Shoshone. We don't have any official positions, just board members. It would be cool to have a farmers market closer where you can get fresh produce and know where it came from. We would also like to try and grow enough to sell there and maybe earn a little extra money. If our apple trees do well maybe we will have apples this fall. So, all this talk of growing things has me very impatient for the warmer weather. I still can't see where my garden is going to be, it's covered in snow. The girls are helping me decide what to plant, though. Each of them also wants to have their own garden. Taylor has started a list of things she is going to grow in hers. Well, she is actually going to have 2 if she gets her way, a veggie garden and a flower garden. Lindsey mostly wants a flower garden and will help me with mine. I gave them one of the catalogs and a pen and they went to town circling things they want to plant. So far we will have tomatoes, carrots, peas, beans, pepper, and corn for sure. I don't know what flowers we will get and what other veggies we will plant. One of my goals is to grow and harvest an eggplant. I've tried before and haven't been successful, maybe this year will be the one! I've actually never had eggplant, but I really want to try it, and I want to say that I've grown something I've never grown before. If it ends up we don't like it, well I won't grow it again, but I want to try.

I know some people have already started their seeds. I haven't. I thought about it, but I decided to maybe wait until after I have this baby. I'm afraid that with the adjustment of a new little one I might forget to water or something. Of course, things don't really get easier after baby gets here, but maybe the warmer weather will be a reminder for me. Then, there is always the option of purchasing my plants if I don't get any started. Anyone want to start some for me?

No comments: